Table of Contents
Is Mold in the Shower Dangerous?
We’ve all seen and shuddered at the development of mold on shower tiles, around shower doors and in the caulking round the base of the shower. In a place designated for our cleanliness, it just seems wrong that mold would be growing there.
But of all the places in your house, the bathroom, and more specifically the shower, provides some of the best conditions for the growth of mold.
Mold needs a moist, warm place to grow and thrive…what better place than in your shower, it’s the perfect breeding ground.
But is this type of mold dangerous to your health?
Types of Mold
There are two types of mold that are considered toxic and harmful to your health:
The type of mold typically found in your shower or bath is Cladosporium, which feeds on soap scum, and as a rule is not considered toxic.
This doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t address the problem and get rid of the mold, because some people who are extremely sensitive and who may already have pre-existing respiratory problems may experience intensified symptoms.
It’s unhealthy to live around and breath in the spores of any type of mold.
All mold is a fungus, why would you want any of it growing in your home?
Removing the mold
It’s much easier to remove the mold from a solid piece of tile or shower surround by using a nice stiff brush and a good disinfectant, than it is to remove it from grout or the caulking around the doors and the floor.
When you do clean the mold from the walls, always protect yourself by using gloves, having good ventilation and never combining chemicals.
To clean the mold from the caulking, you will probably need to remove all caulking, clean the area well, and then let it totally dry before applying a new bead of silicone.
If you have mold growing on other porous, organic surfaces in your home, such as walls, ceilings, carpets or wood, you will not be able to “clean” it up safely, thoroughly and permanently yourself.
Give us a call for a Free mold assessment